Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Yoga of Hot Tubs--Part II


Here she is! My brand new hot tub. A little bit of ahhhhhh in my own backyard.

As some of you know from my previous post about this endeavor, it's been quite the undertaking. The electrician had to do his thing, and the handyman had to dig some trenches, and the fence guys showed up at an ungodly hour, and then the hot tub guys showed up on Tuesday just as I was leaving for the airport.

So all week, as I did my gig in North Dakota, I was thinking about the hot tub. Thinking about the way it fit so neatly on that patio, as it if had been destined to live there all along. Fantasizing about how my life might be different now that this thing had shown up.

I got home late last night. The hot tub guy had it all ready for me to go, but I was tired and strangely afraid to go out there and see  it. Not quite ready for my fantasy to meet reality.

So, this morning, in the rain, I scurried out in my bathrobe, slipped off the cover, and sunk down into the hot water. And there it was. There was ahhhhhh. Just waiting for me. It had all been worth it

The rest of the day felt pretty ahhhhh-like as well. I walked the dog, and went to yoga. Though the yoga class was not my favorite, during shivasana I felt a thrumming peace that has eluded me a long time. At the end, the woman next to me said I had a beautiful voice, a statement that startled me: my voice? And I wondered if something about starting the day in my pool of ahhhhh had somehow knocked free some loveliness deep inside.

I came home and made soup for the crew of Bellingham Review editors who were meeting at my house. It was a soup full of ahhhhh, perfect for a silver day.

Carrot Ginger Coconut Soup
(adapted from The Whole Foods Cookbook)
Melt a Tblsp of coconut oil in a large pot. Chop up a medium onion and toss it in to sizzle for about five minutes. Add 3-4 cloves chopped garlic, and a grated knob (about two inches or more) of fresh ginger. Let them all mingle for another minute or so.
Add 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. dried mint, and 1/4 tsp allspice. Stand over the pot as you stir and inhale all that spicy loveliness. 
 Add 2 lbs chopped organic carrots, and one chopped organic sweet potato. Feed your dog the carrot peels because she loves them and they keep her busy. Add 6 cups water and a tsp of salt. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it all simmer.
While the soup simmers, go out on your deck and admire your new hot tub. Or go on your front porch and admire a tree. Or look out your window and admire what there is to admire. Smell the soup becoming soup. 
 When all the ingredients have softened, add 3 Tblsp lemon juice. Then remove from heat and blend in batches with 1 can Coconut Milk, until smooth and creamy. Return it all to the pot and stir. Serve it in pretty bowls to people who need a little nourishment.





14 comments:

  1. Ahhhh.... I feel more peaceful just reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you about your hot tub - indeed, I have been thinking (dreaming, musing, fantasizing) about hot tubs since I read your first post about it. And, I love that I can read about poetry / writing, hot tubs, and good recipes all on one blog. Enjoy your many soaks (in the hot tub, I mean).

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, sounds like a pretty good day to me! Now you just have to throw a hot tub party....haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Gosh it's been a while since I've checked in on your blog; you have a hot tub now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack! Check out my post titled
      "Yin Yoga" for a shout out to your blog, among others.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, this really makes me miss my hot tub in Chelan, and in turn my house in Chelan... I'm gonna go pout now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kacie! So glad to see you're still blogging; I've missed the boys....

      Delete
  6. Ahhh. I love my hot tub. It got knocked out of whack by last month's storms, but it should finally be ready tonight. I can't wait. Enjoy those soaks, Brenda. They're good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I'm already enjoying it in so many ways.

      Delete
  7. Thank you very much for that marvelous blog posting! I found your post very interesting, I think you are a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and return soon to your blog. Keep up the marvelous job, I hope you will have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tub looks so neat! It looks so Oriental with the wooden finish, the fence, and the plants. And good thing, you have a tub cover. It will make your "ahhhhh" last for a long time! Nice post!
    Shasta Pools & Spas

    ReplyDelete

What say you?